We offer the same great content in our online Freight Broker/Agent Basic Course, offered through our school as well as over 2,000 colleges nationwide.
The Freight Broker/Agent Training course provides you with the comprehensive training needed to gain valuable knowledge for building a successful freight brokerage or freight brokerage agency. This freight broker training course is designed to educate the student about the foundational aspects of brokering shipments. From learning the laws and terminology, setting up your business, learning about valuable tools and software, contracts and forms, how to find shippers and do ratings, and much more, it will provide you with the knowledge, insight, and direction to help you stand out in this growing industry.
You will learn the differences between a broker and an agent, their various duties and responsibilities, and the laws and legal requirements for both. You will also learn how to develop important qualities and skills such as how to set your goals and market yourself, set up and organize your office, recordkeeping and back-office procedures, and how to choose brokerage and operating software.
By course completion, you will understand the steps of setting up carrier and shipper packets and contracts, marketing and advertising avenues, rate quotes, how to interact with shippers and carriers to keep lines of communication open, and valuable negotiation skills.
Job Opportunity and Resources
Brooke Transportation Training Solutions hosts a Broker/Agent Resources Day event which includes a virtual option held one Friday a month, exclusively for course graduates. During this virtual option, all Freight Broker/Agent course graduates have the opportunity to join the Resource Day to hear participating brokers give presentations regarding agent opportunities with their company. Graduates are provided with additional valuable resources that can significantly benefit them in their freight brokerage/agency operations. Brooke Transportation is the only training provider currently offering this excellent resource.
What You Will Learn
- The basics of freight brokering, and qualifications needed for freight brokers and freight broker agents
- How to set up an office, goals, and a corporate identity for a freight brokering business
- How to set up a shipper and carrier packet for a freight brokering business
- Software used for accounting and operations and how the transportation law affects a freight brokering business
- The terms, insurance requirements, liabilities, policies, and recordkeeping best practices involved in contracts between the broker, carrier, and shipper
- Ways to determine rate quotes between your freight brokerage, the shipper, and the carrier using negotiation and sales techniques
How You Will Benefit
- Insight into the industry to determine which avenue fits you best and will give you guidance to obtain the highest ratios for success
- Why great software, quality contracts, and correct documentation are the backbone of your business
- Understand transportation laws and how they affect your business
- Learn the workings of the industry and how to translate that into your relations with your shippers and carriers
- Fine-tune your ability to find a fair but profitable balance in rate quotes to keep your clients satisfied and coming back
- This course can be taken on either a PC, Chromebook, or Mac device.
- PC: Windows 10 or later operating systems.
- Mac: OS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Microsoft Word Online
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.